Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 February 2011

The Palk Arms, Christow, Devon


Recently I was contacted by Tricia King, nee Wreford, who kindly shared her memories of the Palk Arms in Christow, where she was brought up. This pub was run by George Gidley and his wife Elizabeth Browning, who became the innkeepers certainly by 1881. George died in 1885, when his widow took over the lease until her own death in 1909. They had six sons, and the fifth, Arthur, then became the landlord. His war service record in 1918 records his address as The Palk Arms. He died in 1938, but it is not known when the Palk Arms ceased to be a pub.
The name "Gidleys" is clearly visible over the doorway in the photo. Elizabeth Gidley is presumably the older lady, and her son Arthur, who was the barman in the 1901 census, is possibly the man. The younger woman is not known. Arthur did not marry Emily Hill until 1909 in Scotland, but Elizabeth Gidley had at least one daughter by her previous marriage.
Tricia recounts "I was brought up in Christow and we lived at Hillcrest Bakery, formerly The Palk Arms.
At the time I lived there, 1949-1960, we shared the house with another family - the two fathers were in partnership for the bakery business. When we lived there, there were still signs that it had been a pub - a ledge where our phone was, by a hatch that led into the previous bar shown on the right hand side of the house, and swing doors, exactly as in western films!, inside the front door. Occasionally ramblers used to knock, assuming it was still a pub.
The photograph may be from a book on the history of Christow by Stafford Clark which I saw once.
I will always be willing to chat to anyone who is interested in the house".

6 comments:

Stanley said...

dear judith - I am interested to know more about henry penney and the riots in 1795. have you got any details?
stanley
[stanley oldfield@googlemail.com]

The Gidley Family History blog said...

I got the details from a Harvard University PhD thesis available on the open shelves in the Devon Record Office. The author's surname is Bohstedt (sorry, I didn't note the first name) and the title is "Riots in England 1790-1810 with specific reference to Devon". You could try and get it on inter-library loan, though as it's a thesis, it may not be generally available.

Nigel said...

Hi
I have some background info on Elizabeth Gidley; please send me an e-mail
Many thanks
Nigel

The Gidley Family History blog said...

Dear Nigel
I'm probably being obtuse, and apologies for the delay, but I can't discover your e-mail address. You can e-mail me direct via the Gidley profile page on the Guild of One-Name Studies website http://www.one-name.org. My contact details are right at the bottom of the page.

Jade's an Open Book said...

My family was from Dartmoor and I want to find out more and I cant find anything on ancestry.com or anything else but I'm glad to have the family name Gidley

The Gidley Family History blog said...

Hello Jade, E-mail me direct on the contact address found on the Gidley One Name Study Profile page, and with some input from you, I'm sure I can help you with your ancestry.
Best wishes,
Judith