Total Pageviews

Wednesday 31 December 2008

1911 census preliminary findings

I have had a preliminary look at the 1911 census, the beta test version of which was released for a week or so. I didn't purchase any vouchers to check full details, and only a few counties were available, but fortunately Devon was one of them. From the 484 Gidleys found so far, there are now extra people to add to most of the trees I have built up. A lot of the new names were of girls, so there have not been many families to follow through.

1) My own family: A daughter, Emily Bessie J Gidley, born 1908 and a son, James Albert Gidley, born in 1910 have been added to the family of Frederick James Gidley and his wife Lily of Exeter, making a total of 5 boys in the family. James Albert married in Wales, but I have not found any children. I have a newspaper article from about 20 years ago about this family in Exeter, which I shall post separately.

A son, Gerald Frederick Gidley, born 1910 in Devonport, was a surprise addition to the family of Frederick Samuel Gidley and his wife Elizabeth. Gerald's sister Dorothy was 15 years older than he was. Gerald married and had two daughters in Newton Abbot registration district.

There are two more children to add to those of Albert Samuel Gidley and his wife Annie Sophia in Birmingham. One was a daughter, Dorothy Lily Gidley born in 1902, and one was a son, Frederick Gidley, born in 1904. Frederick married in 1932 and had one daughter. He and his wife both died in the Penzance registration area.

Muriel Avis Gidley, born in the Totnes registration district in 1910, was the daughter of Frederick Martin Gidley and his wife Amy.

2) The Winkleigh (and Pedigree) family: another son for the children of William Osborn Gidley and his wife Etta, who later settled in Kingsbridge. This is William George Gidley born 1907 in the Okehampton registration district. I cannot find any marriage for him, but it looks as though he died in 1979 in the Plymouth area.

There are several girls to add to the tree, including two daughters of Sidney George Gidley and his wife Louisa Esther nee Chamberlain. There was no birth reference in England and Wales for the older daughter, Marjorie Dorothy Esther Gidley, so she may have been born in Scotland where both her parents were in 1901.

3) The South Devon family: Stanley George Gidley born 1908 in Greenwich registration district and his sister Olive Wilhelmina born in 1906 have been added to the family of Richard Abel Gidley and his wife Jane. Richard had died in 1910 and one daughter, Florence Irene, was in an "institution" in the Brentford area in the 1911 census, but I didn't check the details. Stanley George married in Lewisham in 1930, but I couldn't trace any family for him.

Another son for John Coulton Elliott Gidley and his wife Mary Adeline of Bristol. This was George Stuart Gidley born 1909, who married and had one daughter. There also seems to have been another daughter for John and Mary's family, Olive Gidley born about 1902, although I can't find a birth reference for her.

4) The "Plymouth James" family: William Henry Gidley and his wife Mary Esther had a son Arthur James Gidley born in Bristol in 1907. Nothing further is known about Arthur yet. There was also another daughter, Dorothy Winifred Gidley, born in 1905.

There are still some mysteries. Several children were found in households where there were no other Gidleys. A birth certificate may have to be obtained for Leslie Edward Gidley born in Greenwich in 1904, as in the 1911 census he is living in Surrey in the Kingston area, the only Gidley in the household. Ivy Whitmore Gidley born in Greenwich in 1895 could not be found in 1901, and in 1911 is also living in the Kingston area, again the only Gidley in the household.

There will be more to add to this 1911 thread as I continue to work my way through the entries, and as more counties are unrolled in the official release.

1 comment:

P.Gidley said...

After reading with interest your website, I thought you would like some information about my family. It may help to fill in a few gaps in the Gidley tree. I have never traced my family, so haven't got too many details. But having read your website I think I am able to give you more information regarding the William Osborne Gidley who went to Kingsbridge, he was my Grandfather.

He lived at Tumblyhill in Kingsbridge, with my Grandmother Etta (Elliott from Bantham Devon) He was born 1876 , Died ??? Etta Born 1878 Died ??? I think he was a wheelwright.

They had 4 sons
William George born 1906 .married to Rita (Tidmarsh) no children.. Died I think 1979 Kingsbridge
Arthur Leonard born 1908 .married to Winifred (Bishop) 1 daughter Pamela (now living in Poole area) ....Died 1987/89 ?? Kingsbridge
Gilbert Elliott born 1912 June 2rd married to Harriet May Boon July 8th 1939 Dad died 1985, Mum died 1992 Kingsbridge
3 sons
Peter James born 1943 (Me)
Michael William born 1946
David Elliott born 1951
Alan (Raymond ?) born 1920/21 married Marie (?) 3 sons Raymond and two others ??? Moved to Gloucester.

I remember my father telling me the following bits of our history

1: His family came from Drewsteignton area and that the family owned the mineral rights to Dartmoor at one time, and was sold off in the 1920's !!!
2: At the age of 8 years old he visited a Uncle who had moved to a big house in Kilburn N.London

I remember visiting an Aunt at Widdon Down on Dartmoor.

I hope this helps

Peter James Gidley